Saturday, July 11, 2009

Recording Sesh

Christ.
Well there's no getting around it; putting music together is tough. Mr. Stack and I are hard at work on the first EP for Cut Division. Up until today things seemed to really be going swimmingly. This is of course why I am writing this post.

Let's blame the first gaffe of the day on Muni. Apparently, it's not that the 38 didn't come, it's just that "the route takes a while." Fair enough. Jimmy arrives at my residence 45 minutes later, but alas it's alright. Eli and I have been preparing beats, all is well.

Jimmy has this particular notion that recording audio into pro tools from reason is some sort of easy step in the process, though it turns out to be quite the opposite. What my man wants is each track of reason data (a track for drums, bass, synths, etc) on it's own track in pro tools. We spend a good two hours attempting to create different kinds of pro tools tracks while rerouting the hell out of our reason file and we are unable to record the audio into pro tools. In the end it ends up being quite a simple task; creating stereo wav files of each track and importing them into pro tools, no longer using a special module known as ReWire (Jimmy was a bit obsessed). Hallelujah: Jimmy is thrilled, the pro tools file is looking great, it's on his hard drive and we're on our way to Benji's.

Well that was only the beginning. We get to Benji's (a beautiful spot I must say, a great place to record) and we f*$# around for a while, but then get down to business and begin preparing to record. WAIT, hold the phone. Jimmy's not ready to record vocals on his track, he hasn't finished his track yet! Apparently, his "sketchy" Logic Pro isn't quite fulfilling his deepest desires, and that was a problem, especially tonight. What a marathon. We arrived at the studio around 7:30. I left the studio at 1:00. We were trying to record two songs. Only two. One of the tracks was already done, a form put together, ready to rock but our MC had issues writing the words so essentially, that track is now on the back burner. The wheels were coming off quickly. Whilst I write this, vocals are being recorded on the other track. I hope they are going well.

Things might sound like they're in the s*@#ter but honestly, this is a part of the process. I'm having a ball. I love being in studio environments and I'm loving every minute of this. We're learning a lot of new things (tonight was my night to bear witness to Jimmy's ridiculous flatulence) and I see a bright future ahead. Up until this point there had been no road blocks. Now we have come across some, and that's totally okay. We shall regroup. Nothing has gone to waste, we are still in utero, still carving out our space. Absolutely not a vaginal or hysterectomy reference, sorry Mom. That being said, the world will know when we burst from the womb.

The beats are saucy and the music is pumping. Tonight we just decided to play a record with a lot of scratches on it. It happens, it's going to happen again, and I have no issue with that. This is all a part of the process, and I look forward to more; much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment