Saturday, July 11, 2009

Boy, Oh Boy


If you follow me on Twitter (jstackills, follow me!), you would know that I worked in the studio last night. Overall, it was one of the most frustrating and emotionally draining experiences of my life. Despite the fact that not much actually went wrong and was just done wrong, the session overall just fell short of a complete failure.

The whole process started with me arriving to Josh Meer's house 45 minutes late. Josh is one of my co-producers and also an author on the Cut Division blog. Lunching with my mom in downtown San Francisco at Perbacco, an amazing restaurant by the way, held me up for a while. Even though I left at 2:30, with bus time and everything, I still somehow managed to show up at Josh's late. We spent quite a while trying to put a project of Josh's into Pro Tools from Reason. Once we finished that whole deal, which took like 2 hours or so, Josh and I walked to Divisadero Street and got some dinner.

After dinner we arrived at Benjamin Dossetter's house. Benji has been a long time friend of mine and he is really generous when I ask to use studio. He's got the place pretty decked out for an amateur. Benji has quite a few exceptionally nice guitars, a Korg synth, Pro Tools, a Digi 002, a Digi Command 8 mixer, and much more. If you ever need a demo recording stop, holler at me, I'll hook you up with Benji, he'll hook you up with a great deal. Anyways, I really came into the session totally unprepared. My song, unlike Josh's was not only not Pro Tools ready, but incomplete. So that in its self was a disaster. Jesus H. Christ...

I think Josh will give you guys the full DL on the whole session, but overall, for my first experience in the producer's chair, legitimately producing an artist, things went terribly. I was unprepared, I didn't get what I needed out of the artist, and I feel like I generally wasted everyone's time. But I guess any experience is a learning experience, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment