Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Phaseone is on one.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
A few weeks ago I hit up STL's Phaseone, asking him if he'd be open to doing some production for an MC's release on Cut Division. He soon responded denying my request (or more of a plea). At the time I was thinking, Oh well thanks, you stuck-up douchebag. (I admit, my feelings were moderately hurt...) But as I listen to Phaseone's new album now, entitled "Thanks But No Thanks," I realize his music/production shouldn't be used in conjunction with an MC. In his music he employs many samples, synth lines, and rhythms that when molded together, form a truly complete composition; any singing or rapping would take away from his eclectic and almost psychedelic vibes. So I must say, Phaseone, good call on not working with any MCs.

I find Phaseone's music to be genuinely new and innovative, and I must say it's pretty refreshing. We're at a point in the music industry where almost everything sounds the same. Seriously, every time I turn on some Clear Channel "hip hop" station, I think to myself, This song must be by Lil' Wayne or Drake, or T-Pain, or Akon, or Jamie Foxx, or Plies, or Hurricane Chris, or Soulja Boy, or Jim Jones, or Rick Ross, or any hip hop artist that has had any moderate success in the past ten years. It's not to say that some Clear Channel music isn't catchy or even well produced, it's just monotonous and repetitive. Phaseone's music really brings a ton of contrasting elements into the lately unvaried world of hip hop. He some how finds a way to give weird, ambient, and unpredictable music a head-nob-able feel and flow.

I'll post some of his original tunes a little later, but for now here's his remix of Animal Collective's "Daily Routine."

Daily Routine (Phaseone Remix) - Animal Collective

No comments:

Post a Comment